Thursday, December 23, 2010

Working Hard

Hello all!

The Boi and I have been doing some temp work at a place named Paul Davis Restoration (my pyro-spouse Gabe's mom [Leslie] is who we're working under). It's fun but really hard work.

We rode together to work on Friday (only one set of keys were with us) and both of us accidentally left our phones at home. We started off the day at the same job location with co-workers Dale and Debbie. We were cleaning up a home that was damaged in a fire (grease fire happened while the homeowner was cooking fish).

About midway through the day, Boi and Dale were called away to a home with water damage while Debbie and I stayed at the fire job.

Boi got passed around to several different jobs throughout the day. I stayed with the house fire job all day. In the late afternoon, Debbie and I finished up for the day and got ready to head back to the office. Here is where things started to go awry.

When we got in the van to leave, it wouldn't start. Poor Debbie had been fighting with a broken vacuum cleaner and was already frustrated so this really ticked her off. I just stifled my laughter while she called management letting them know about the van.

I spotted a neighbor down the road aways and asked him if he would give us a jump start. He said sure and helped us get the van started.

When we got back to the office, the manager let me know that I was done for the day and could head home...there was only one little detail: Boi had the car keys. Debbie even offered to drop me off at home...only the house key was also with Boi. So I settled in to wait for Boi.

Two hours later, Boi was done and popped in to the office. Sweet! I was so ready to go home. But alas, it was not to be. Boi sheepishly told me that he had left the keys in his lunchbox...which was in the company truck that Doug (Gabe's brother/Leslie's son) was driving...Doug who was still out working and would be back who-knows-when.

No worries though. Leslie drove us to her house to hang out until Doug got done for the day. Friday nights are pizza nights at Leslie's, and we would have probably went there anyway.

The really ironic part of that was that Doug came into the office shortly after I was done for the day. So I could have grabbed the lunchbox out of the truck, had I only known. But Boi and I had been communicating though others all day (remember we left our phones at home?) and that fact never made it to me.

Craziness that's all it was. It all just made me laugh because, really, what else could I do?

I'm so grateful for the work. I know it's only temporary but every little bit helps. I got to work Thurs, Fri, Mon, and Tue. It's some pretty tough work. I've cleaned up soot, moved things, pulled up linoleum, and helped tear down drywall. Who knew I could work so much!? Doug took my picture working yesterday so someone would have evidence that I actually can work hard. I'll have to see if I can get him to send the picture to me so I can share it with y'all.

Track List:
Dog snoring
Dryer tumbling clothes
Clock Ticking

PS - Sorry I didn't draw any pictures. My excuse is that my hands are cramping too much from all the hard work I've been doing. I am working on a poem for y'all though. It's a spoof but I'm a little worried that none of y'all have ever read the original. Have any of you read Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown?

2 comments:

  1. Seems like you had a tough day at work...I hope you're having a nice Christmas...Merry Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Caterpillar: It's definately not the most fun work I've ever done, but I'm just grateful for the work.
    I hope your time off work is peaceful and nice. Merry Christmas!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
shelookslikeahaddock blog by Beth Evans is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.