Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Procrastination

Procrastination is my topic for today. I'm extremely good at it. I know that a lot of people say that, but I truly am. It's what I do. Most of the time I try not to think about it because, let's face it, it's really embarrassing to be so good at it. But I can't help it. That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!

A good example would be my water bill. It's due the same time every month. There is a late fee tacked on after the due date eeeevery month. And they faithfully turn off unpaid water the same time every month.

Let me tell you a little bit about having my water through the city of York SC. My bill is due the 14th of each month. After that date, there is a $6.00 late fee. If not paid by 5pm ET on the 20th of each month, it will be turned off (religiously) first thing on the 21st. Oh, and now they tack on another $25 to my bill (probably for the inconvenience of having to turn my water off and on).
Unfortunately, York is also behind in the times. You can't pay your bill online. You can't pay it over the phone. The only ways to make your payment are by mail or in the office. Payments must also be cash, check, or money order.

Enter my uncanny ability to procrastinate, and BAM, you have the perfect storm. We moved into this house in June 2007. I think I have paid that bill before the due date...I don't know...maybe twice? The water's been turned off at least 3 times that I can think of off the top of my head. And for absolutely no good reason. I'm just a fantastic procrastinator.

Before my mom moved to Washington, she would clean my house (Don't judge me! She was paid!) roughly every two weeks. One day, she called me up at work, and we had a conversation that went roughly as follows:

Me:  Hello?

Mom:  (sounding really concerned) Hey...have you paid your water bill this month?

Me:  (giggling) Is the water not running?

Mom:  Um...well...it was. Up until a few minutes ago.

Me:  (laughing uncontrollably) I'm really sorry! And no, I haven't paid the water bill this month. Will you do me a HUGE favor? *giggle* Will you write out a check, yes you can forge my signature, and take it by the City of York for me?

Mom: Uh...sure.

I'm not even going to pretend to know what my mom thought. She raise me and knows how strange I am. I'm so grateful that she loves me for who I am, strangeness and all.
The point of my story is...well, I don't know really. I guess I just wanted to give you a small demonstration of how very good at procrastinating I am. I could save a lot of money and time (mine and the city of York's) if I just paid this bill when it should be paid. I don't have a good reason for not paying. The money's always there. I have stamps. I have gas in my car.

Today is Boi's birthday. Yesterday I asked him what he wanted for his birthday dinner. He told me that he wants hamburger stew (which I've never made before) with rolls. I could have sworn I've written about these rolls before, but in glancing quickly through previous posts, I don't see it. So, if I've already told y'all this, sorry.

For our anniversary this year I decided to cook a really nice dinner; which for me, means something that didn't come from a box or the freezer. I went to the store and grabbed all the things I wanted to cook which included rolls I grabbed from the freezer section. Before that, the only biscuits or rolls I had made came from the refrigerated sections (you know, the kind you get to bang stubborn ones on the counter to get them to open?). I came home with about two hours of cook time...only to read the instructions on the yeast rolls and find out they need 4-5 hours of prep time. I used the speed prep method which only took 1 & 1/2 hours. Really? That's speedy? But whatever. The rolls have been my arch nemesis ever since. The only reason I continue to make them is that they are REALLY tasty.

The reason I told y'all that is because I procrastinated so long today, I'm having to use the speed bake method again today. 

Anyways, I am off to try to make this hamburger stew for Boi. Hopefully, it will turn out edible...we shall see. If it doesn't, at least I can regale you guys with the story later.

PS ~ Sorry I haven't been drawing as many pictures...I'm still having trouble with my drawing program...but Boi is working on the problem so, hopefully, I can be back drawing toddler-like pictures for y'all again soon :D

1 comment:

  1. You told us girls about the rolls in the nail salon where we didn't get our nails done. I don't think you wrote about them, though you totally should.. especially about the time you tried to do it the long way. Love yoU!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
shelookslikeahaddock blog by Beth Evans is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.