Friday, November 12, 2010

The Mailbox Game Fail X2

I'm depressed. I have lost The Mailbox Game two days in a row now. My mail has come at 2pm on-the-dot every day for almost 3 years now. Over the last month, my mail lady has lost her mind. She now comes between 1pm and 6pm. No consistency. I've been dying a little inside each day.

My neighbors start to get home at about 4pm which greatly complicates The Mailbox Game. Two weeks ago, it had gotten to the point where I would only check the mail at 3am. A few days ago, I went back to my day time checking of my mail, and it's not going well.

Yesterday I was caught by my best friend Gabe. Her truck came flying down the road with no time to recover. She immediately called me out on my loss. It was the first time I have ever lost The Mailbox Game.

But I rallied my courage and tried again today. The first try, I had to come quickly back into the house because I could hear a car coming down the road and couldn't risk being spotted. I slammed the door shut and laid low for three hours.

It was a good thing I waited because Ms. Mail Lady didn't come until 3:45pm. I heard her car go by and waited until she was out of sight. I cracked my door and listened for cars....nothing, safe to proceed with caution. I creeped across my yard, eyes darting in all directions. I have a field next to my house that has obscures my view down the road.





















I made it all the way to the mailbox before he came in view. A child walking home from school was staring right at me.




















I hung my head in shame and trudged back to the house. I may never check the mail again. If I do, I can guarantee you, it will be at 3am.

3 comments:

  1. Living with you has given me a different perspective of the world. And a cramp in my side from laughing with you about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To raise the stakes in this game, you could try checking the mail in your normal attire (or, should I say, LACK of attire;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wear the cone of shame!! I can't believe that I was your first!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
shelookslikeahaddock blog by Beth Evans is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.